Monday, March 15, 2010

Goat Cheese Fresh from an Epic Procrastinator...


I am the ultimate procrastinator. Just ask my mother and my husbands unmatched sock pile. I spent most of my early twenties scorning myself for this trait and trying to work against my natural grain. Motherhood and a dose of some serious love taught me to just relax and enjoy myself. I have finally embraced that I'm really good at starting things but not so awesome at that finishing part. However, I have figured out that when the moment finally does strike, to just go for it!

I have been itching to make some homemade goat cheese for months. I had been researching some ways to curdle the milk without chemicals by using some lemon juice or vinegar for a while now. I had sourced the goats milk during a Maine winter which was probably the hardest part, yet I hadn't found the time...

Today I put Dahlia down for a nap, and saw the quart of goats milk in the fridge...judging me for my endless procrastination. I gathered the few ingredients and went to town... until the goats came home...


Ingredients

A. One quart of Goats Milk ( I used ultra-pasteurized as its easier to find this time of year but obviously I would have enjoyed some fresh local goats milk more)

B. Juice of two lemons (I used two and a half for the curdle process)

C. Salt and other fresh herbs and seasonings ( Dill and cracked pepper for this round)

Supplies

A. Colander with three layers of Cheese Cloth set over a deep mixing bowl

B. Thermometer (I used a candy thermometer but an instant would probably be best)

Instructions

1. Prepare your colander and juice your lemons; set aside


2. Heat the Goats Milk to 180 degrees and remove from heat


3. Stir in the lemon juice and let stand for 30 seconds (add more lemon juice if necessary to separate, it will look like there is a thin oil in the milk)

4. Pour the milk over the colander lined with cheese cloth



5. Drain for two minutes and then tie four corners around a wooden spoon

6. Hang to drip dry for about an hour or two; you are looking for the consistency of cottage cheese. I hung mine and waited until it looked and felt like a creamy goat cheese; about and hour and forty five minutes.



7. Place the cheese in bowl and spice it up!



Here are some Cheese making Resources via the World Wide Wonderful Web

Martha Goat Cheese

Vinegar Curdled Goat Cheese




No comments:

Post a Comment