Monday, April 6, 2009

Vintage Martha...

             I was a weird kid. I admit it. I liked things that kids weren't really supposed to "get" at my age. I had a subscription to "Victorian" Magazine and loved it. I poured over the pictures and was borderline obsessive of those smelly folded perfume pages. I collected the ripped out advertisements and sniffed away. After my "Victorian" stage ended, I decided I wanted Martha Stewart's "Living" Magazine. I had just baked my first cake from scratch while my mom napped, and I wanted more culinary challenges. In particular, I loved the perforated square recipe cards. If you ever find her recipe for her "Easy Spanikopita", try it!






    
During these times, my mother owned her own quilting store and was quite the quilter. I spent a good deal of time going to her quilting clubs and trying to avoid the old ladies that smelled like cat food. I was surrounded by all types of fabrics, sewing tools, and quilting notions. I took a liking to these little tomato pin cushions she sold in the shop. They were bright red with a Crayola Green top. I used to love to push the flat sewing pins flush with the firm cotton surface. It is always funny the random things that I remember from those times.

So, You are most definitely asking how these two random paragraphs relate. Well...here it is. I have a close friend who loved to take baths in the antique tub in her old apartment. I could tell this by two things: She would often answer her phone while she was "tubbing" and a weird watery echo then ensued for the length of our conversation. Also, by the enormous collections of magazines watermarked and crinkled from their occasional splashes and dips into the bath laying in her palatial bathroom. The magazines were a mix of Vegetarian Times, Domino, and my favorite, Martha Stewart "Living".      
       The other day she called and said she had a project for us to work on for her day trip up to Portland. It was a feature on heirloom fabric tomato pin-cushions from a very old issue of Martha's "Living". I tried to hide my giddiness because no one is supposed to be that psyched about a pin cushion OR an old Martha issue. I was. 
      While I waited for her to arrive I put the monster, Oops I mean baby, in the swing praying for quiet and ran to my craft room. I outsmarted the wiley pile of Leon's old computer parts to grab my fabric stash and set up shop in the living room. As my friend unpacked her pile of textiles the contrast of our palette choices was obvious, but we did have a few of the same patterns.
        A fun day of obsessive crafting, wine drinking, rocking babes to sleep, and "coffee talk" followed. Take a look at the "fruit" of our labor.   Just let me know if anyone wants detailed instructions. 


These below were our first attempts. No comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment