Saturday, April 4, 2009

Not your Gramma's Canape'



One fateful summer in Maine, a Democrat actually tried to run for Congress...Go figure. Of course I had the pleasure of being an indentured servant to one of his top "people". A few hours before a large fundraiser my job description of nanny changed...to caterer? I had the task of preparing several different types of appetizers to be passed. It was a fundraiser set against the backdrop of a private beach estate and many people in attendance would not be impressed with Tostito's and salsa for the cost of their invites. They talk about champagne taste on a beer budget. Well, I had to have gourmet hors d'ouvres on a cheese 'n' crackers time frame. 
My Employer gave me a recipe she insisted I "whip up". I glanced at the list of ingredients...the words "Hell No" came to mind. White bread and cream cheese? However, I didn't care enough to scour Epicurious.com for the perfect canape'. White bread wrapped canned asparagus with cream cheese spread would have to do. While reading the recipe in detail I became, as I often do, a bit defiant to this dish's lack of character. I opened the fridge looking for some small additions and got down to business. That is how one of my favorite dishes was born. Forty minutes later I pulled my Siracha and blue cheese asparagus bites out of the oven and plated them for the Soiree'. A few days later, I was writing the recipe down for my boss to email to the several guests who raved about my pinch hitter canape'.  Was that last sentence me being a bit too braggy? I guess you'll just have to deal and then make these.

Gather:
Softened cream cheese (a small tub)
Four tablespoons Blue Cheese (you can add this to taste)
A loaf of the whitest, grossest bread you can find
Siracha Hot sauce 
Half cup melted butter
Fresh Asparagus cut as pictured above


Mix the cream cheese with the blue cheese and add the Siracha to taste. Cut the corners off the bread and flatten with a rolling pin (or hands). Spread a generous amount of blue cheese mixture on the flattened piece of bread. Put two or three asparagus spears in the middle and roll up. Make the roll as compact as you can. Cut the "log" in three pieces as shown below. Place on buttered baking sheet and brush generously with the melted butter. Put in freezer for twenty minutes to firm up and bake at 375 until golden brown. 

This weekend I had a friend visiting for some wine, sewing ( I couldn't bring myself to say crafting), and baby Dahlia time. I woke up and had a mere thirty minutes to go to the grocery store before the man had to leave, so I made these. My friend doesn't even like blue cheese which I remembered on my way home from the supermarche'. She loved them, at least she said she did. Also, unfortunately the Democratic candidate didn't win... hope it wasn't the food. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm still thinking about those addictive little bites. And color combinations of imaginary tomatoes. And sleeping babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to try this simple yet elegant recipe. How inspired you are going down your own maverick road dear child.

    ReplyDelete